Search Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Incoming Solar Flare Interrupts Cell Phone Communications: Suicide Hotline set up for Teenagers

Recent Solar Flares causing cell phone outages for 12 minutes left thousands of teenagers traumatized. With no way to send meaningless and endless information to others within their social network group, many teenagers displayed signs of disorientation, depression and expressed a desire to “end it all” . Emergency rooms at Hospitals across the Nation were overwhelmed by the volume of panicked parents with children exhibiting near catatonic behavior.
In response to the Crisis, communities have set up clinics and out-reach programs to teach teens to utilize land lines which are unaffected by the solar flares. Teens are experiencing difficulty however, adapting to this 'new' old technology, but help came swiftly. Katie Williams, Director of the NYC Emergency Phone Clinic program, “There's Still a Way to Say Hey” commented: “I have 20 princess dial phones all tied into land lines to train the kids. The hardest part is getting them to stick their finger in the dial and moving it in a circular motion. After succeeding in dialing the number, they just stare at the dial, like they are waiting for something to happen. It's spooky.”
Justin Burton, a distraught youth who attended the program was quoted as saying “It was really crazy, I could hear my bud Chad talking and I could talk to him but I couldn't text, send pictures or jokes. All I could do was...talk. I mean, what am I supposed to say? I was kinda like stuck. And the phone was really huge and sucked. I couldn't like walk around and stuff because of the cord thing. How weird is that? Being without my REAL phone was like the worst 12 minutes of my life ever. Seriously!”


No comments:

Post a Comment